TN visa is a special non-immigrant status in the United States, Canada, and Mexico that offers expedited work authorization to citizens of these three countries.
The TN category offers Canadian professionals a fast track into the USA. Under this visa, a Canadian citizen can work in a professional occupation in the United States.
As a NAFTA professional, Canadian citizens do not need a visa. This is the reason that the term ‘TN Status’ is sometimes used instead of TN Visa.
- Key features of TN-1 Visa
- The TN-1 visa is granted for a specific employer. If needed for more than one employer, multiple TN-1 applications are need to be made. However, the visa is not designed for self employment, or to establish a personal business.
- The TN Visa is initially granted for up to three years, but only for the specific employer for which it was originally requested as changing employers need to start from scratch with a new application.
- The spouse and dependent children under the age of 21 of a TN professional can also apply for TD status (TD-1 for the family members of a Canadian citizen worker), which is granted for the same period of time as the principal TN professional holder. The spouse and dependent children of the applicant are not allowed to work, although they are permitted to attend school.
- TN-1 Visa basic requirements
To be eligible for TN-1 visa, prospective Canadian applicants need to meet the following basic requirements:
- Applicant must be a Canadian citizen
- Applicants must have a US job offer in an eligible profession (qualifies under NAFTA) which requires someone with their professional skills
- Applicant must fulfill the educational or qualification requirements for the job
- Applicant must be qualified to work in this business activity
- Applicant’s intention to stay should be temporary in nature.
Do you qualify for TN visa?
For precise and authoritative information and advice on U.S immigration law and U.S visa applications contact WWICS today.
Team of specialists at WWICS has a solid 25 years of experience in immigration services and has helped countless people to migrate to the United States.