The West Kootenay Region (including Nelson, Castlegar, Trail, Rossland and surrounding areas) is one of the 11 communities across the country that are participating in the pilot.
The region has partnered with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to develop a program that works best for the community by prioritizing skilled immigrants who intend to live and work in the West Kootenay region
The West Kootenay Region will utilize this program to continue to strengthen its local economy and support the development of its workforce by addressing its needs and economic development goals.
Eligibility Requirements for Employers
In order to qualify to participate in the pilot, Employers must fulfill the below mentioned criterion. The employer making the offer of employment must:
- be based within the Community boundaries of West Kootenay and be eligible to issue genuine job offers;
- demonstrate their efforts made to recruit a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident prior to providing an eligible job offer;
- have operated in the West Kootenays region for a minimum of two years, OR
have made a business investment of at least $200,000 in the West Kootenay region;
- Not have violated the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (Canada) and/or provincial employment standards;
- Not request or accept any form of payment in exchange for providing a job offer;
Moreover, the wage offered in employer’s offer of employment must meet or exceed $22/hour and must be above or within the range of wages for that particular occupation in the Job Bank for similar jobs in the region.
Eligibility Requirements for Applicants
Applications WILL only be considered if they are complete and meet minimum qualifications outlined by federal government & community. The applicant must:
- meet the federal eligibility criteria;
- obtain a Job offer from a West Kootenay Employer
- have a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of 4 or higher, in English or French;
- intend to live in the Community; and
- fulfill educational credential requirements
The candidates also need to make sure that the wage offered in their offer of employment must meet or exceed $22/hour and must be above or within the range of wages for that particular occupation in the Job Bank for similar jobs in the region to determine the candidate’s intention to reside in the community.
Note: Candidates who are currently working, studying, and/or residing in the West Kootenay Region for at least the last 6 months will be exempt from the Community specific wage criteria of $22/hour if their wage/job offer is between $17/hour and $21.99/hour.
- Meet the Federal eligibility requirements
- Find Full time employment in the Community
- Meet the Community Based Criteria
- Complete the Schedule 1 Rural and Northern Immigration (IMM 5911)
- Submit your application form
- Submit additional and supplementary information